Thursday, October 3, 2013

Br. Michael's Book Club

The 1995 book written by Peter M Newton entitled, Freud From Youthful Dreams To Mid-Life Crisis is busy in an interesting way. Along with many observations of Freud's life, the book has delightful historic letters from Dr. Sigmund Freud and Dr. Wilhelm Fliess.

The letters expose that Fliess was the first who discovered Universal bisexuality through scientific research as a biological given. Later on, through several exchanges, Freud steals Fliess's work to make it his own and calls someone else the "robber." Ironically, Freud shares a candid admission and apologies to Fliess in a last letter. Freud writes, "I evidently reproached myself dimly, as I do today in complete clarity, for my generosity or carelessness with your property." 

My Book review being this book is with hopes that readers no longer hold to any biphobia regarding Freud appearing untrustworthy, because we assume he'd sleep with anything that moves. I hope we see him for the apologetic thief he was regarding Fliess, a true patriarch.

No comments:

Post a Comment