Thursday, November 13, 2014

Veronika with a K

StonewallAGAIN's Bisexual liaison, Br. Michael C. Oboza (ret) knows the one and only Veronika Boundless, Trans Lesbian activist. For years, she always reminded him... "I am Veronika with a K...." Oboza was honored to interview her for StonewallAGAIN.

"It would have been around 1989. I was about 10 years old," Boundless remembers, "I told my mother, a evangelical christian, that I was a girl. She didn't respond well. For years, I repressed all memory of the events that followed as well as my gender identity."

"In my early 20's, I had the Internet which made a lot of information about trans people readily available. But I was uncertain," Boundless shares, "Because most of the trans people I read about were apparently straight and femme. It was not until 2004-not long after I had become a queer rights activist and having face-to-face interactions with trans people for a first time-that I started identifying as trans."

"I didn't really figure out my sexual orientation until 2009," Boundless reflects, "I was reading the incomparable Emi Koyama's "Whose Feminism is it Anyway" ...Something clicked and I said to myself, "I am a woman. And I must be a dyke too." 

The following is a brief summary of something Boundless experienced during her many years as a Queer rights activist that may help empower someone else to never give up or give in to anyone else's judgement of you. After all, according to Boundless, "we will be facing an uphill battle" and she "does not imagine that anything will change if we do not talk about it." 

"In 2009, I started organizing with The Chicago Dyke March Collective (CDMC) when a cis woman violated my privacy..." Regarding "as long as I do not expect equal time with cis women. As long as I do not make too much noise if a cis woman violates my boundaries. As long as I do not take up too much space."

"To this day, I cannot enter queer and trans activist spaces in Chicago without being wary," Boundless explains, "Our community is very inclusive- inclusive of people who violate trans women's boundaries. But it has a long way to go before it can offer trans women spaces where we feel safe."


No comments:

Post a Comment