Wednesday, October 1, 2014

MaMa Gloria

StonewallAGAIN's Bisexual liaison, Br. Michael C. Oboza (ret) is known to have come out Transgender female. While surviving, there was one diva of an inspiration for Oboza and her name is MaMa Gloria, an activist in Chicago from the 1960's who shared some of her legacy with Oboza on September. 29, 2014.

"In the 1950's, I lived on a farm... But, I later moved to Chicago. City life was not so friendly. I had to adjust to it like it had to adjust to me," MaMa Gloria continues, "I lived on 59'th and State street on the south side of Chicago. State street was jump'n in the 1960's. You know State street that great street."

"In 1963, Transgender didn't exist.... Let them tell it," MaMa Gloria shares, "I had rocks and bottles thrown at me outside of 59'th and State street. I was arrested in South Park and Englewood. Many girls were arrested for wearing wigs and bras. So, I always had to snatch off my wigs and wear bigger t-shirts to cover my bras. We also needed 3 pieces of i.d. to get into bars."

"Yes, I had supportive family and church who accepted me even though I was "different." You heard it takes a village to raise a child," MaMa Gloria remembers, "Yes, I knew girls like me who fought for resources. We spoke up! I knew girls that were arrested, beaten and murdered, because they were "different" like me."

Before taking the picture for the blog, MaMa Gloria finishes the interview. "In the 1970's, I moved to the northside of Chicago to my own apartment. The police were worse up there to Transgender women of color and still are even to today. My advice to Transgender women of color is stay in school. Get an education! Education is a big step in life. It helps you with style and tenacity. That's what we had to do in my day. The youth today have more resources than we had. There was nothing... Nothing for Transgender women of color in the 1950's-1960's. No Transgender support groups and no Transgender inclusive Health insurance. We also had to hide to have underground parties trading, buying and selling hormones. The parties were illegal and dangerous....We are all the same and can better ourselves today more than we could back in my day."

No comments:

Post a Comment